CELEBRATING 100 YEARS
(1922 - 2022)
The Aim of the celebrations in marking 100 years is to appreciate the service it has rendered the communities near and far over the years and make a commitment to give the facility strength for the next millennium.
WHO WE ARE
NGORA FREDA CARR HOSPITAL was started in 1922 as a result of work of the Church Missionary Society-England Missionaries. The Hospital is making a century marked with glory days of excellent health care and devastation through many stages of dilapidation both in service delivery, equipment and infrastructure.
The mission of this a rural private ‘Not for Profit’ Hospital is:
“To provide basic and affordable quality health care services to the poor population and proclamation of the Word of God.”
The hospital is run as part of the Church of Uganda, Kumi Diocese and was founded in 1922 as a small medical mission with a donation from a Mr Ernest Carr in memory of his daughter Freda who had died in East Africa. It is a 180-bed hospital with outpatient (OPD) and inpatient services, as well as general maternity services. The glory of Ngora Hospital was during the 1980s when the Surgeons’ Association, and Flying Doctors’ service, used to operate from the hospital which had its own airstrip.
Over recent years Ngora Hospital has been working to regain its former glory and fulfil its potential but much remains to be done. With the co-operation and together with the District Local Government (DLG), Ministry of Health (MOH), local population, staff and other developmental partners e.g. Uganda Protestant Medical Bureau (UPMB), The ROTARY CLUB of Kampala Central, The ROTARY CLUB of Reading UK, The Aids Support Organization (TASO), Friends of Ngora and other NGOs and Board of Governors (BOG), the hospital is striving towards the positive direction with the limited resources available.